Thursday, August 30, 2007

My Kindergarten Class

So this year, I am Mrs. Brimhall, and I wasn’t quite sure how the kindergarteners would do with being able to pronounce that. Most of them have done pretty well with it…but there are a few who have some pretty funny variations of my name. Here’s a few:
Mrs. Brimhallway
Mrs. Grimhall
Mrs. Friendhall
Mrs. Vrimhall
Mrs. Brimholly
And my favorite, Mrs. Groundhog (yep, a 2nd grader called me that the other day…don’t ask me how he got that from Mrs. Brimhall)
Then I have a few who can’t say their R’s and call me Mrs. Bwimhall. And one boy in my class who always leaves off the Mrs. and just says “Hey Brimhall!” when he wants to get my attention. : )

Here are a couple funny quotes/stories from some of my kids so far this year:

We are learning about the letter M and for every letter we learn a letter rhyme. Our Mm rhyme we have been practicing goes like this:
“M is for muffin,
M is for mittens,
M is for mud on the paws of my kittens.”
We practice it together as a class everyday and yesterday one of my kids, Diego, tells me he can say it all by himself. He is so proud of himself and says he wants to come up to say it in front of the whole class and this is what he says:
“M is for muffin,
M is for mittens,
M is for mud on the balls of my kittens.”
I just started cracking up and Diego just had this huge smile on his face! : )

The other day I kept sneezing in class and one of my kids said “Are you sick Mrs. Brimhall?” And I heard another little girl go, “No, I think she is just allergic to us.”

At the beginning of the school year we have the parents fill out a questionnaire that asks them questions like what name their child wants to go by at school and what name they want them to learn to write at school. (We always ask this because a lot of our Hispanic families have their kids go by different names than their given first name.) So at our Meet the Teacher Night, Mia one of the kindergarteners, was sitting next to her mom while her mom was filling out the form and her mom said “What name do you want to go by at school?” and Mia was all confused so her mom said “What do you want your friends and teacher to call you at school?” and she thought about it real hard and said “Umm…..Wonderwoman!”

And today I was cracking up because we have been learning nursery rhymes and I was trying to teach my class Old King Cole and for some reason they were having the hardest time with the words. So I would say one line really slowly and then have them repeat it after me. Whenever I said the first line, "Old King Cole was a merry old soul", one of my students kept saying really loudly, "Old King Cole was a hairy old soul!"

No comments: