Friday, April 23, 2010

The Best Day of our Trip


Tanner took us out to visit his families from his mission and it was an unforgettable experience. In fact I hesitate to try and describe any of it because I won't be able to do it justice. Please ask me about it - I'd love to tell you about some of these remarkable people we met. I am hoping some of these pictures will give you a feel for what the day was like for us.

For example - Tanner pulled up here and told us to wait in the car and he would see if anyone was home. I was in the back seat of the car looking for something in my purse when I heard screaming. I looked up to see a little girl fling herself into Tanner's arms and she just kept squealing. A second later her brother comes flying out and jumps into Tanner's arms too. Then they are both just hanging onto him and screaming - and then a mother and older sister come out and they are both in tears - and Tanner - well I don't know if I've ever seen him look so happy. It was an incredible thing to witness.


We were invited in to visit. LaPerla never let go of Tanner.
She is 6 now - Isn't she just darling?
The mother is Concepcion. Tanner baptized Concepcion and her son Omar (age 9) and her daughter Brenda (18) when he served in this area. It was about 9 months ago and he hadn't seen them since then. Tanner didn't tell anyone he was coming so it was quite the surprise. He interpreted for us as we visited. I cried as I shared my testimony and gratitude to her for accepting the gospel and bringing such joy to my son. She cried and said - "thank you for sending us your son. We have the gospel now and it has changed our lives." A lot more things were said and shared and it was very emotional.

So were the goodbyes. . . .
The day continued on like that as each house we visited there were hugs and tears.

Tanner baptized Fatima and her mother Isaura.

Diego is 6 now - his mother said he really missed Elder Hunt.
the whole family . . .
Tanner was so adored by all the kids.

This is Paula and her family. She was baptized along with her daughters.

They really wanted a picture with everyone in it so we asked a little boy in the neighborhood to take this picture. We were cracking up because it looked like he wasn't even pointing the camera at us - it was his 1st time using a camera that was for sure.
This is at the apartment of Betty - her son had just returned from serving his mission in Texas. Her sister's family came up to visit as well (along with their 96 year old grandma). We had a great time visiting - they were wonderful to Tanner while he served in their area of Las Aguilas. (ask me about what Betty did for my son ) - that made me cry too. They were awesome!

This is Bero and her daughter Marlen. It was such an emotional thing for me to have the opportunity to thank her (and many others) for being a "Mom" to my son while he was in Mexico. It was obvious how much they really loved their "Elder Hunt". And we loved them.

Little miracles all day long - like the fact that Tanner wanted to surprise everyone - and each time we went to a home - they were all there. We didn't miss anyone.

Like I said - words can't begin to express all that we experienced that day as we visited these wonderful families and converts from Tanner's mission. It was definitely the high point of the whole trip - and we all agreed that it was the best day of the whole trip. Simply incredible.

2 comments:

Caroline Craven said...

This is a wonderful blog. I was crying by the second picture. What an amazing opportunity for you to be able to go and visit all these people that have touched Tanner's life, and he theirs. That is so cool that you had the chance to bear your testimony too. That is incredible.

Tiffany said...

so cool, mom...man, I really wish I could have been there for that day of the trip. it sounds like an amazing experience