Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Chicago Architecture

I LOVED Chicago! It is really a beautiful city - I had no idea.

This is the Chicago Tribune building - one of my favorites in the city. All over the building they have embedded stones from other famous buildings - places like Edinburgh Castle (below), and the Taj Mahal, baths at Pompei, castle at Roen France, White House, Great Wall of China, etc.
It was pretty fascinating.
Most of the buildings we learned about on the river architecture tour. It lasted about an hour and our tour guide had a ton of intesting facts and stories about the buildings we were cruising by.

It was interesting to see the old mixed in with the new.
This building mirrored all the buildings around it . . .Here is the Sears Tower - it has a brand new clear balcony that you can step out on to - it is supposed to be the "new don't miss" attraction in Chicago. Next trip maybe.
The whole day while we were exploring the City Madden was such a happy little guy - he looked pretty much like this all day -

3 comments:

Kristen said...

I love that you loved Chicago. Next trip, stop off the train in Oak Park (my home town) and go on the Frank Lloyd Wright tour - really interesting and fabulous architecture.

Tiffany said...

Great pics of the architecture tour, mom! That was so much fun! There are so many cool places we didn't even have time to show you, so I am already planning out your next trip out here! :)

Laura said...

I took a quick trip to Chicago this summer and also LOVED the tribune tower. Did you see the rock from the SL Temple? I also thought the buildings were amazing. Did you see the corn cob towers? I can't even imagine trying to park there. :)